Ocarina of Time Crooked Cartridge - Japanese Text
Note: You need the NTSC American version of the game.
- Go to the file select screen.
- Choose an empty save file to start a new game.
- On the screen where you choose your name perform the Crooked Cartridge trick so that the sound becomes distorted.
- While the cartridge is still pulled out, choose your name.
- Select end. You'll be taken back to the select file screen.
- Push the cartridge back in and reset the N64.
When you get to the file select screen, all the save file names will be in Japanese. The new file you just created will crash if you attempt to play it. The only way to return your save file names to English is to delete them all.
This trick doesn't work on the PAL version because it doesn't have the Japanese language set on it, it was removed to make room for the other translations. This is why the PAL version crashes when you start the game after performing this glitch -- it tries to display the Japanese file names, fails (because it doesn't have the Japanese character set), and is unable to recover from the error. You'll now have to use the CC Game Fix To Fix This.