Ocarina of Time Miscellaneous Glitches - 100+ Gold Skulltulas
- This glitch can only be done as Child Link because...
- You need the Boomerang.
- Find a grotto (underground cavern) with a Gold Skulltula in it. (There is a list of them at the bottom of this article.)
- Find the Gold Skulltula in the grotto and kill it, but do not collect its token.
- Stand close to the "warp pad" that takes you out of the grotto, facing away from it and towards the token.
- Throw your boomerang at the token. When the boomerang is about halfway back to you with the token, do a back flip onto the "warp pad".
You should land on the "warp pad", catching the boomerang immediately after you do so. A message box will appear, telling you that you have collected the token; it should disappear as the screen fades out. As long as the blue square at the end of the text box -- (which indicates that you need to press the A button to exit the message box) -- does not appear, the glitch will work; if it does, the game may crash (because you can't press A to exit the message box while the screen is fading out).
You'll find yourself outside of the grotto. If you take a look at the Quest Subscreen, you'll find that your Gold Skulltula count should have increased. If you go back into the grotto, however, the Golden Skulltula will still be there -- and you can collect its token again, if you so choose. In fact, it's possible to repeat this trick over and over again, allowing you to obtain the maximum of 255 Gold Skulltulas (normally, you can't get more than 100).
Basically, what happens here is that you're leaving (or "refreshing", if you're using the Sun's Song) the map right as you receive the Skulltula token. Essentially, the game increments your Gold Skulltula Token count, but it never gets time to mark the Gold Skulltula as having already been killed, so when you go back to the area, the Skulltula is still alive and well -- and in possession of a "new" token.
To be more specific, the game increments the counter when you grab the token, but only marks the Gold Skulltula as having been killed when the message box is closed. What it seems to do is, it schedules that marking in advance, setting it to occur when the message box is closed. Leaving the level seems to automatically close that message box without doing anything that was scheduled to occur when the message box was closed.
The reason that the maximum amount of tokens you can get is 255 is because exactly one byte (eight zeros and ones) is used to store the number of tokens you have; a byte can store any number between 0 and 255 (inclusive).
They have fixed this in the 3DS version it now checks when it touches the boomerang so it is nearly imposible to collect more than 100. With great timing you could get more that 100 but you need to be really fast.
Here is a list of grottoes where this glitch can be performed. The list is not comprehensive; if you find another grotto where this glitch can be done, please add it to this list.
- In Hyrule Castle (as Child Link), past all of the guards, there is a large tree located near the small moat that surrounds the castle. If you play the Song of Storms at this tree, a grotto will appear.
- The Gold Skulltula in this cavern is hidden behind a bombable wall.
- As Child Link, enter Gerudo Valley from Hyrule Field. In the Valley, there should be a circle of stones; throwing a bomb into the middle of the circle will reveal a grotto.
- Behind some spider webs, there is a cow and a Gold Skulltula; use Din's Fire to burn the webs.
- In Hyrule Field, there is a grotto under a tree located to the left of the entrance to Kakariko Village.